Code of Alabama Section 22-11D-5
Establishment of council; composition; meetings.
(a) There is established the Statewide Trauma and Health Care Center Advisory Council to assist in developing regulations and standards necessary to implement this chapter and to serve as consultants to the board on matters related to the statewide trauma system and other health care centers.
(b) The council shall consist of 11 members and be constituted in the following manner:
(1) Four representatives of hospitals, who shall be appointed by the Board of Trustees of the Alabama Hospital Association. Two of the appointees shall be from hospitals located in urban areas and two shall be from hospitals located in rural areas of the state. At least two of the appointees shall be from hospitals that will be designated as trauma centers after the statewide trauma system is established.
(2) Four representatives who shall be licensed physicians, appointed by the Medical Association of the State of Alabama.
(3) One representative of the board who shall be the Medical Director of the EMS and Trauma Division of the department, or his or her designee.
(4) One member who shall be a licensed emergency medical technician, who shall be appointed by the State Health Officer.
(5) The State Health Officer, who shall serve as the chair.
(c) All members of the council shall be appointed for a term of four years, except initial members shall be appointed to terms of from one to four years and shall serve such staggered terms so that members appointed by the Alabama Hospital Association and Medical Association of the State of Alabama may be appointed subsequently each year. The membership of the council shall be inclusive and reflect the racial, gender, geographic, urban/rural, and economic diversity of the state. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner provided for the original appointments. Persons appointed to fill vacancies shall serve the unexpired portions of the terms.
(d) The council shall meet at least twice a year, but may meet more frequently upon the call of the chair. The council may meet by electronic means and shall establish rules of procedure for its meetings.
(e) The council may appoint subcommittees and workgroups. Subcommittees shall consist of council members and workgroups may consist of non-council members.
(f) With the consent of the majority of the members, the chair shall set requirements for proxy representation, voting, and the establishment of a quorum.
(g) Members shall serve without compensation, but shall be entitled to reimbursement for expenses incurred in the performance of their duties at the same rate as state employees.
(h) The members shall represent the demographic composition of the state to the extent possible.
Act 2007-299, p. 541, §5; Act 2012-526, p. 1556, §1.
Page last updated: April 13, 2017