More About Stroke
About 85% of all strokes are ischemic, in which blood flow to the brain is blocked by clots or fatty deposits called plaque in blood vessel linings.
A hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a blood vessel burtsts in the brain. Blood accumulates and compresses the surrounding brain tissue.
Risk Factors for Stroke
- Increase age
- Family history
- Previous Heart Attack
- Previous Stroke
- Control high blood pressure
- Do not use tobacco or breath other people's smoke
- Eat a healthy diet to maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Be physically active
- Control or delay the onset of diabetes
- Reduce excess weight or maintain a healthy weight
- Know your family's health history
Page last updated: March 28, 2017