Food Service Sanitation
The Bureau of Environmental Services is responsible for the permitting and inspecting all food service establishments located within Escambia County, Alabama. For the complete food service rules on construction and operation, visit Laws and Regulations.
Establishment Inspection Scores
Inspection scores reflect compliance with minimum health standards only at the time of the inspection. Scores are based on a 100-point scale. Establishments with a score of 85 or above are inspected a minimum of once every 120 days. Establishments with a score below 85 are inspected at least every 60 days. A score between 70 and 60 requires immediate corrective action within 48 hours. If a restaurant scores below 60, it is closed immediately until it can attain a score of 85 or better. Establishments with critical violations (critical items are marked in red on the Food Service Report Sheet) that cannot be corrected at the time of inspection are re-inspected within 10 days.
To Obtain a Permit
- Fill out an application at the health department and submit any fees that may be required.
(all food permits expire on September 30 of each year)
- For new establishments or remodeled existing structures, properly prepared floor plans must be submitted to the health department along with the plan review application and fee.
- Arrange for a preliminary inspection.
- Arrange for a final inspection (allow at least 2 day prior notice).
- General Information on Starting a Restaurant
- General Information about Operating Concessions
- Starting a Food Processing Business
- Food Establishment Plan Review Guide
- Food Safety Guidelines for Exempt Temporary Events
Seafood and Shellfish Resources
- Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference (ISSC)
- Interstate Certified Shellfish Shippers List (ICSSL)
- Application for a Permit to Operate - Interactive Application for Food Establishments, Hotels, and Camps
- Food Establishment Plan Review Checklist
- Application for Exemption for Food Service at a Temporary Event
Page last updated: April 17, 2017