It is important to be in the best health possible before becoming pregnant. Want to learn more about preparing for a healthy pregnancy?
- Have a Reproductive Life Plan. A Reproductive Life Plan is a set of goals that you make about having or not having children (even if being a mom is years away for you).
- Know your family history and your partner's family history for chances of genetic disorders, such as Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Sickle Cell Disease, etc. You can create a family health history online using My Family Health Portrait.
- Because prenatal care alone is not enough - avoid smoking and alcohol and drugs before pregnancy. Doing so greatly decreases the risk of having a miscarriage or stillbirth. Find a substance abuse treatment center near you or call 1-800-367-0955 for help. Want free help to quit smoking? Call 1-800-QuitNow (784-8669) or visit QuitNowAlabama.
- Birth control - pick the one that is right for you. Use it until you are ready to get pregnant.
- You are in control - know your risk for sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Get tested.
- Ask for help if you are in an unsafe or violent situation.
- Get answers to your questions about preparing for pregnancy from your doctor and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the March of Dimes.
- Pre-Pregnancy Health Resources (Wisconsin Association of Prenatal Care)
- Substance Abuse Resources (Alabama Department of Mental Health)
- Women's Reproductive Health (CDC)
Preconception Health in Alabama
In 2008, Alabama women gave birth to 64,345 infants. The health of these women prior to pregnancy impacted birth outcomes. Want to know more about health behaviors, experiences, and conditions among these women just prior to becoming pregnant? Visit Alabama Preconception Health Report Card.
GAL Symposium Presentations
- Life Course Perspective: The Context for Practice
- Life's Simple Seven (2.8 MB)
- The Impact of Sexually Transmitted Diseases on Women
- Being Fit: Eating Better and Moving (4.5 MB)
Page last updated: January 24, 2019