Module: Disaster Prep
Welcome to Building a Healthy Start Module Three. This module addresses disaster preparedness issues specifically related to infants and toddlers in child care.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- List types of disaster situations that could affect their programs.
- Describe evacuation procedures, including ways to move infants and toddlers.
- Identify areas of safe shelter in a facility.
- Describe lockdown procedures.
Caring for Our Children, Third Edition, (CFOC3) Standards
The content of this module is based on the following CFOC3 Standards, with Information incorporated from additional standards in CFOC3 as appropriate:
- Standard 18.104.22.168. Emergency Procedures
- Standard 22.214.171.124. Smoke Detection Systems and Fire Alarms
- Standard 126.96.36.199. Disaster Planning, Training, and Communication
- Standard 188.8.131.52. Emergency and Evacuation Drills/Exercises Policy
Module content may be viewed online through two training videos: Session 1 Disaster Basics & Evacuate and Session 2 Shelter, Lockdown, & After a Disaster. These videos are made available through the Alabama Public Health Training Network. The distance learner must register and complete a pre-test prior to viewing each program. At the completion of each program, the distance learner must complete a post-test and training evaluation form. A certificate for one clock hour of training may be printed after both programs are viewed. Distance learners will also receive a brief post-training survey at their email addresses approximately two months after completing the module.
There are two printable handouts for this module. These materials may be downloaded for use during training and later as a daily reference guide.
Child care program directors may choose to access the Building a Healthy Start Module Three Training Kit to use for professional development during staff training days. All module training materials may be downloaded below.
- Sign-In Sheet
- Presentation Slides (7.4 MB)
- Training Guide
- Recommended Items for Caregiver To-Go Bag
- Disaster Preparedness Resources
- Pre- and Post-Tests
- Training Evaluation Form
- Evaluation Instructions for Trainers
- Evaluation Data Spreadsheet
Page last updated: April 14, 2017