The liver is the largest solid organ in your body. It is also one of the busiest, performing thousands of vital functions each day, including:
- Converting nutrients into energy, hormones and immune factors;
- storing vitamins and minerals;
- regulating fat; and
- controlling production and excretion of cholesterol.
Your liver neutralizes and destroys poisons, helps you resist infection and removes bacteria from your blood. For all of these reasons and more, it is important to maintain good liver health.
- Adults: Keeping Your Liver Healthy (Hepatitis Foundation International)
- Children and Adolescents: Keeping Their Liver Healthy (Hepatitis Foundation International)
- Ways to Take Care of Your Liver (American Liver Foundation)
Page last updated: April 14, 2017