A solution to many health problems, including obesity, is for citizens to embrace a culture of healthy choices as their normal way of life. In order for this to happen, healthy choices must be easily understood.
MyPlate is part of a larger communications initiative help consumers make better food choices. MyPlate is designed to remind Americans to eat healthfully; it is not intended to change consumer behavior alone.
MyPlate illustrates the five food groups using a familiar mealtime visual, a place setting. The plate is divided into sections representing the type and amount of food needed for healthy choices.
Key Behaviors of Healthy Choices
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals - and choose foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks
Page last updated: April 17, 2017