Alabama is currently in year three of the Alabama Safe Sleep Outreach Project. Support for this project comes from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), which leads the Safe to Sleep Campaign, and includes the latest safe infant sleep recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
In 2018, 27 organizations across Alabama have received grant funding to support community level education and support by:
- Increasing public awareness about the impact of Sudden Unexplained Infant Death (SUID) and other sleep related causes of infant death.
- Teaching ways to create safe sleep environments that reduce risk factors of SUID and other sleep related causes of infant death.
- Emphasizing outreach efforts to high risk communities.
In 2016 (the latest available data), 130 infants died before their first birthday from SUID. This accounted for 24 percent of the total infant mortality rate. If you or someone you know is in need of safe sleep teaching you may contact one of the funded grantees about providing outreach education in your local community. One by one working together we will make a difference.
2017-2018 Alabama Safe Sleep Outreach Project Grant Recipients:
- Anniston Piedmont Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi.,Inc.
- Auburn University
- Birmingham Black Nurse Association,Inc.
- Birmingham Healthy Start Plus,Inc.
- Black Warrior Community Action Team
- Child Abuse Prevention Services Of Tuscaloosa
- Child Care Resource Center,Inc.
- Dallas County Family Resource Center
- The DCH Foundation
- Family Success Center of Etowah County,Inc.
- The Gift of Life Foundation
- Hospital Foundation,Inc.(Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children)
- Huntsville Hospital Foundation, Inc.(Madison Hospital)
Huntsville Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi,Inc.
- March of Dimes-Alabama Chapter NICU Family Support
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., Alpha Rho Zeta Stork's Nest
- Medical West Hospital Authority
- Mobile County Health Department
- New Beginnings Ministries Women's Dept.
- Northeast Alabama Community Development Coorperation
- Parents and Children Together(PACT)
- Sav-A-Life, Mobile, Inc.
- Shoals Sav-A-Life
- Talladega Housing Authority
- Tuscaloosa Family Resource Center
- Tuskegee Stork's Nest-Alpha Xi Zeta Chapter-Zeta Phi Beta Sorority,Inc.
Revised Nurses Continuing Education Program on Safe Infant Sleep Now Available
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the leading cause of death among infants between one month and one year of age. Even though there is no known way to prevent SIDS, there are ways parents and caregivers can reduce their babies' risks for SIDS and other sleep-related causes of infant death.
Nurses play a critical role in communicating risk-reduction techniques, especially in hospital settings. To ensure that nurses have the most current and accurate information, the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) has revised its Continuing Education (CE) Activity on Risk Reduction for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Other Sleep-Related Causes of Infant Death: Curriculum for Nurses.
This free continuing education activity for nurses was approved by the Maryland Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. Nurses who successfully complete it will earn 1.1 contact hours of continuing education credit.
Get this life-saving information today. Visit the NICHD to access the online activity.
Grant Recipient Resources
- Activity Tracker
- Before-and-After Activity Knowledge Check
- Event Flyer Template - Horizontal (PDF)
- Event Flyer Template - Horizontal (Word)
- Event Flyer Template - Vertical (PDF)
- Event Flyer Template - Vertical (Word)
- Grantee Directory
- Photo/Video Consent Form
- Presentation: Reducing the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Other Sleep-Related Causes of Infant Death (Long Version)
- Presentation: Reducing the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Other Sleep-Related Causes of Infant Death (Short Version)
- Presentation Notes: Reducing the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Other Sleep-Related Causes of Infant Death (Long Version)
- Presentation Notes: Reducing the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Other Sleep-Related Causes of Infant Death (Short Version)
- Project Materials Order Form
- Required Forms Checklist for Closed Meeting
- Safe Sleep Badge #1 (Version 1)
- Safe Sleep Badge #1 (Version 2)
- Safe Sleep Badge #2 (Version 1)
- Safe Sleep Badge #2 (Version 2)
- Safe Sleep Badge #3 (Version 1)
- Safe Sleep Badge #3 (Version 2)
- Safe Sleep Knowledge Check
- Safe Sleep Knowledge Check (Notes)
- Sign-In Sheet
Page last updated: April 13, 2018