COVID-19 Resources for Healthcare Providers
ADPH recommends providers use CDC guidance to evaluate patients seeking medical care for COVID-19. Symptoms might include: fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath and may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
If you are a healthcare provider who suspects their patient may have COVID-19, you should:
Complete the online Novel Coronavirus PUI Form.
If you suspect your patient may have COVID-19 you MUST complete this form regardless of where the specimen will be sent for testing per the March 6, 2020 Emergency Rule re: Notifiable Diseases.
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your consultation form.
- If you are requesting testing by ADPH Bureau of Clinical Laboratories (BCL), the email will also contain instructions for specimen collection and shipping, guidance for hospitalized patients, and patients being discharged home.
- If you are submitting your specimens to a commercial or clinical laboratory, the email will also contain guidance for hospitalized patients and patients being discharged home. You should contact your preferred laboratory for specimen collection and shipping instructions.
This online automated Novel Coronavirus PUI Form is accessible from all electronic devices, including your Android and Apple devices as well as personal computers, laptops, etc.
Once you have submitted your Novel Coronavirus Testing Request Form, there is no need to call ADPH. However, our 24/7/365 emergency phone number: 1-800-338-8374 is available if necessary.
Providers who send specimens to the BCL should use the BCL Web Portal to assist submitting all test requisitions and to receive test results in a timely manner. To register for or update an existing Web Portal account, using your work email address, please email the following information to email@example.com: Facility name, Facility address, Facility phone number, Facility point of contact.
Providers with positive cases tested by a commercial or clinical laboratory (not tested by the BCL) must complete the Novel Coronavirus Report Form and fax the laboratory report to ADPH at (334) 206-3774 or PUIFax@adph.state.al.us.
Laboratories are required to report all negative and positive COVID-19 virus test results electronically (faxes do not count). If not already enrolled, laboratories will need to manually enter test results directly into the surveillance system; contact ALNEDSSsupport@adph.state.al.us to enroll staff today.
- 03/23/2020 ALERT HAN: SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Testing Criteria Revised
URGENT UPDATE: Changes to Testing Criteria to Focus Testing on Patients Most at Risk
- ALERT HAN Messages
- Bureau of Communicable Disease (BCD) News Releases
- Specimen Collection and Shipping Guidance
- Specimen Packaging Instructions
- Log of Persons Entering Room Housing PUI
- Print Materials Available for Download:
- "Attention Patients" Posters: English | Chinese | Spanish
- For other print materials, visit our COVID-19 main page.
See latest updates on Information for Healthcare Professionals.
Page last updated: March 24, 2020