Plan First Program
Alabama's Plan First Program is a family planning program for women ages 19 to 55. Family planning can help you and your family to have a better life.
Plan First provides:
- A yearly family planning exam.
- Care support from a social worker or nurse.
- Some types of birth control such as, birth control pills and Depo-Provera shots.
- Tubal ligation (tube tying) for women 21 years or older.
- Lab work such as, testing for pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Help in planning when to have a baby.
Plan First Requirements
Most women who have children on SOBRA Medicaid are automatically enrolled in Plan First. If you or your children are not on SOBRA Medicaid, you may still be eligible for Plan First.
To be eligible for Plan First, you must:
- Live in Alabama.
- Be a U.S. citizen or be in this country legally.
- Be a woman between the ages of 19 and 55.
- Have not had surgery to prevent pregnancy.
- Meet income requirements.
How to Apply for Plan First
To apply for Plan First, if you are a woman aged 19-55 and if you do not have children under the age of 19 living in your home, complete and mail an application for the Medicaid Plan First Program. You can also visit the Plan First website to apply online.
If you are pregnant, or if you have children under the age of 19 living in your home, then you must complete the joint Medicaid/SOBRA/All Kids application. Remember: When applying, you will need to provide a Social Security number.
Mail the completed form to:
Alabama Medicaid Agency
Plan First Intake Unit
501 Dexter Avenue
P.O. Box 5624
Montgomery, AL 36103-5624
For more information on Plan First, call toll-free 1-888-737-2083, or visit the Clay County Health Department.
Page last updated: April 10, 2017