For more information about Environmental Services in DeKalb County, call the Environmental Department at (256) 845-7031 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Food Service Sanitation
The Environmental Health Division is responsible for the permitting and inspection of all Food Service Establishments located within DeKalb County, Alabama.
Establishment Inspection Scores
Inspection scores reflect compliance with minimum health standards only at the time of the inspection. Scores are based on a 100-point scale.
Establishments with a score of 95 or above are inspected a minimum of once every 180 days. Establishments with a score of 85 to 94 are inspected a minimum of once every 120 days. Establishments with a score below 85 are inspected at least every 60 days. A score between 60 and 70 requires immediate corrective action within 48 hours. If a restaurant scores below 60, it is closed immediately until it can attain a score of 85 or better. Establishments with critical violations (critical items are marked in red on the Food Service Report Sheet) that cannot be corrected at the time of inspection are re-inspected within 10 days.
Search for your favorite restaurant recent inspection score using the Food Establishment Scores website.
Other Environmental Services
- Public Health Nuisance Complaint Investigation
- Hotel, Public Pool, Jail, and Body Art Inspections
- Land Application - Inspections and Permits
- Small and Large Flow Development Permits
- Onsite Sewage, Septic Tanks, and Grease Traps - Applications and Permits
- Private Well Water Testing
- Solid Waste Facilities and Vehicles - Applications and Permits
- Sewage Tank Manufacturer Permits
- Septic Tank Pumpers - Inspections and Permits
- Vector and Rabies Control
Page last updated: April 17, 2017