All firms which offer to perform, or performs any of the lead-based paint abatement activities described in Alabama's lead rules must have certification from the Alabama Department of Public Heath. The company must have at least one individual who is accredited by and registered with the Safe State Environmental Program at the University of Alabama as a Lead Abatement Worker, Lead Inspector, Lead Abatement Supervisor, Lead Risk Assessor, or Lead Abatement Project Designer, to be certified as a respective firm.
Do not submit an application for firm certification prior to receiving individual accreditation from the Safe State Environmental Program at the University of Alabama. To contact Safe State by phone, call 1-800-421-7141.
An application for Certification of Lead Abatement Contractors shall be submitted to the Alabama Department of Public Health in order to receive State of Alabama approval to conduct lead-based paint abatement activities (per Code of Alabama as authorized by Act No. 97-553, the Lead Reduction Act of 1997).
- On the application, enter the firm's full name, street address, city, state, and zip code as it should appear on the certificate. Please fill in the mailing address if it is different from the street address.
- Indicate the person to communicate with in the event of errors or omissions as the "Contact Person." This will also be the person to receive the certificate and any other correspondence from this office.
- Enter the firm's telephone and facsimile numbers complete with area code. If you have a web site and/or electronic mail, please indicate the address in the appropriate blank.
- Indicate the "Type of Contractor." Only one discipline should be indicated on the application. For additional disciplines please submit separate applications.
- Fill in the last three lead-based paint activities complete with the name of the person who contracted with you and a telephone number.
- Submit a disclosure statement of any action taken by EPA or an EPA authorized program involving violation, suspensions, revocations, or modifications of your firms certification or license.
- Attach a letter to the application stating that you will only employ Safe State accredited individuals to perform lead-based paint activities and list the accredited and registered employees along with their accreditation numbers.
- Sign and date the application. Please include the appropriate fee with each application submitted.
- Verify that the application is complete and that all required information has been included.
Mail the entire application package to:
Indoor Air Quality/Lead Branch
Community Environmental Protection Division
P.O. Box 303017
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-3017
Page last updated: April 17, 2017