Module: Env. Health
Welcome to Building a Healthy Start Module Four. This module addresses environmental health concerns in child care that are specific to infants and toddlers.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify sources of airborne contaminants.
- List ways to reduce airborne contaminants in the child care environment.
- Recognize sources of surface contaminants.
- List ways to reduce surface contaminants in the child care environment.
Caring for Our Children, Third Edition, (CFOC3) Standards
The content of this module is based on the following CFOC3 Standards, with Information incorporated from additional standards in CFOC3 as appropriate:
- Standard 18.104.22.168 Integrated Pest Management
- Standard 22.214.171.124 Use and Storage of Toxic Substances
- Standard 126.96.36.199 Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Standard 188.8.131.52 Testing for Lead
Module content may be viewed online through two training videos: Session 1 Environmental Health Overview, Air Quality, and Mold and Session 2 Carbon Monoxide, Childhood Lead Poisoning, Integrated Pest Management, and Poisoning Prevention. These videos are made available through the Alabama Public Health Training Network. The distance learner must register and complete a pre-test prior to viewing each program. At the completion of each program, the distance learner must complete a post-test and training evaluation form. A certificate for one clock hour of training may be printed after both programs are viewed. Distance learners will also receive a brief post-training survey at their email addresses approximately two months after completing the module.
There are two printable handouts for this module. These materials may be downloaded for use during training and later as a daily reference guide.
Child care program directors may choose to access the Building a Healthy Start Module Four Training Kit to use for professional development during staff training days. All module training materials may be downloaded below.
- Sign-In Sheet
- Presentation Slides (9.9 MB)
- Training Guide
- Integrated Pest Management
- Environmental Health Resources for Early Childhood Settings
- Pre- and Post-Tests
- Training Evaluation Form
- Evaluation Instructions for Trainers
- Evaluation Data Spreadsheet
Page last updated: August 20, 2018