The documents provided on this page may assist any type of public or private organization in developing a Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP). These documents are provided to also assist state departments in creating a pandemic influenza and all-hazard COOP to comply with Governor Bob Riley's Pandemic Influenza and All-Hazard COOP Directive signed on April 10, 2009.
State Essential Functions
There are eight state essential functions (SEFs) that are the foundation for all government continuity programs and capabilities. They represent the overarching responsibilities to lead and sustain the State of Alabama during an emergency. Each state department's COOP must perform one or more SEF, which are not new authorities, requirements, or functions.
1. Ensure the continued functioning of our form of government under the Constitution of the State of Alabama, including the functions of the three separate branches of government.
2. Provide leadership visible to the state and maintain the trust and confidence of the citizens of Alabama.
3. Defend the Constitution of the State of Alabama against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and preventing or interdicting attacks against the State of Alabama or its people, property, or interest.
4. Maintain and foster effective relationships with the surrounding states.
5. Protect against threats to the state and bringing to justice perpetrators of crimes or attacks against the State of Alabama or its people, property or interests.
6. Provide rapid and effective responses to and recovery from domestic consequences of an attack or other incident.
7. Protect and stabilize the state’s economy and ensuring public confidence in its financial systems.
8. Provide critical state government services that address the health, safety, and welfare needs of the citizens of the State of Alabama.
2009 Alabama COOP Directive
- Governor Bob Riley's Memo: Preparedness for Pandemic Influenza and All-Hazard Emergencies
- ADPH and Alabama Emergency Management Agency's (AEMA) Joint Memo to All State Agency Heads or Emergency Preparedness Managers (1.5 MB)
- Public Health Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP)
State Agency COOP Training
ADPH, in collaboration with AEMA and the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) have created resources to assist agencies in accomplishing this directive.
- Continuity of Operations Plan Template (DOC)
- Continuity of Operation Plan Worksheets (DOC)
- Mandatory Registration for COOP Training Video, Part 1
- Mandatory Registration for COOP Training Video, Part 2
- Alabama State Agency COOP (Continuity of Operations) Training Satellite Broadcast
- Continuity of Operations Planning Teamwork (1 MB)
Federal Emergency Management Agency Resources
- Continuity Guidance Circular 1 - Continuity Guidance for Non-Federal Entities (1 MB)
- Continuity Assistance Tool - Continuity Assistance for Non-Federal Entities (1.5 MB)
- Recommendation for Continuity of Operations Excellence Series (1 MB)
Pandemic Influenza Personnel Policies and Guidelines
- State Health Officer Dr. Donald E. Williamson's Memo: 2009 h2N1 Influenza Memo for ADPH Employees
- Alabama State Personnel Department
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Page last updated: April 14, 2017