Font Size:

Food Establishment Sanitation

The Bureau of Environmental Sciences permits and inspects all food service establishments located within the county. Inspection scores reflect compliance with minimum health standards only at the time of the inspection.

Scores are based on a 100-point scale. Establishments with a score of 85 or above are inspected every four months. Establishments with a score below 85 are inspected at least every 60 days. A score between 70 and 60 requires immediate corrective action within 48 hours. If a restaurant scores below 60, it is closed immediately until it can attain a score of 85. Establishments with deficiencies in critical items (critical items are marked in red on the food service report sheet) are inspected within 10 days.

The Elmore County Health Department inspects commercial food establishments where food is manufactured for wholesale. Other agencies such as ADPH's Division of Food, Milk and Lodging, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries may also inspect these facilities. The Alabama Department of Agriculture or the USDA inspects meats packed in and out of the county.

Find food scores for your favorite restaurants.

Whenever a food establishment is constructed or remodeled, and whenever an existing structure is converted to use as a food establishment, properly prepared plans must be submitted to the Elmore County Health Department for review and approval before construction, remodeling, or conversion is begun.

It is unlawful for any person to operate a food establishment unless the owner possesses a valid permit issued by the Health Officer for the operation of the establishment. Any person desiring to operate a food establishment should make a written application for a permit on forms provided by the Health Officer.

Documents Relevant to Starting a Food Service Establishment in Elmore County

Complaints dealing with food or lodging can be entered through the Contact Us page of our site, or by calling 334-567-1186. For complaints involving foods commercially produced or processed outside of Elmore County, contact the regional office of the FDA at (866) 289-3399. For meat products from a meat processor or packer contact the USDA at (334) 272-9232.

The FDA and USDA may issue recalls for any food products deemed potentially unsafe. For more information on food recalls, please visit the food recalls section at

Page last updated: July 26, 2023