The Office of Primary Care and Rural Health facilitates and participates in activities to improve access to health care services for all rural Alabamians with special concern for children, the elderly, minorities and other medically underserved vulnerable populations. We serve the following populations:
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Federally Qualified Health Centers
- Physician Practices
- Rural Health Clinics
- Small Rural Hospitals
- County Health Departments
- Mental Health Centers
2020 Census Engagement Opportunities for Rural Health Care Providers
The Decennial Census, mandated in the Constitution, is designed to count the entire population of the nation. It establishes a baseline for districting and representation, and is used to determine allocation of federal, state, and local resources. Undercounted populations may not be recognized for the full extent of their needs. Rural health care providers can play a crucial role in assuring that rural communities are fully counted. The National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health has more information about opportunities for rural health care providers to assist in this important task.
Important Rural Health Resources
The following resources are funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy to provide timely information on rural health issues, best practices, and other useful information. For other valuable resources, visit our Resources page.
- Subscribe to RHIhub This Week to receive current news, funding opportunities, publications, and the latest RHIhub toolkits, model programs, Rural Monitor articles, and more.
- Subscribe to Gateway's listserv to receive an email when a new research product is released, or when there is a free rural health webinar.
Office of Primary Care and Rural Health Programs
- National Health Service Corps Scholarship and Loan Repayment for Health Professionals
- J-1 Visa
- Health Professional Shortage Area Designations
- Telehealth Resources
- Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Program (Flex)
- Small Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP)
- Free Medical Placement Services
Page last updated: February 3, 2020