Font Size:


The Bureau of Environmental Services ensures the safety of Alabamians by regulating food, milk, lodging, body art, seafood, soil and onsite sewage, indoor air quality/lead and solid waste. The Bureau contains three divisions:

Division of Food, Milk and Lodging (FML)

The Division of Food, Milk and Lodging includes four branches: Food and Lodging, Seafood, Milk, and Quality Assurance. Visit the Food, Milk and Lodging Website.

Division of Community Environmental Protection (CEP)

The Division of Community Environmental Protection includes three branches: Soil and Onsite Sewage; Indoor Air Quality/Lead; and Solid Waste. Visit the Soil and Onsite Sewage and Indoor Air Quality/Lead Branch websites. Read more on the Solid Waste Branch.septictank-green.jpg


The Beason-Hammon Alabama Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act requires every person or sole proprietorship applying for certain licenses or permits to either demonstrate U.S. citizenship, or, if the person is an alien, to prove lawful presence in this country. The Alabama Department of Public Health will verify an applicant’s immigration status or naturalized/derived citizenship status using the SAVE Program.

To comply with this law, ADPH requires the following for an initial permit or renewal application:

A business entity must provide a Declaration of Business Ownership Structure if the type of ownership or business entity is not clearly indicated on the application.

ADPH will only verify the status of the individual who is licensed or permitted. Demonstration of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence is only required one time.

This law applies to the following permits issued by the Bureau of Environmental Services:

Division of Food, Milk, and Lodging

  • Food Service Establishment Permit
  • Food Service Temporary Event Permit
  • Food Processor Permit
  • Crab and Shellfish Processor Permit
  • Camp Permit
  • Hotel/Motel Permit
  • Body Art Facility and Operator Permit
  • Milk Farm/Milk Plant/Milk Truck Permit

Division of Community Environmental Protection

Page last updated: May 17, 2023