Alabama Adolescent Vaccination Task Force
The purpose of the Alabama Adolescent Vaccination Task Force, or AAVTF, is to bring together organizations with a common goal in order to increase Alabama adolescent vaccination rates, with a specific focus on HPV Vaccination.
The AAVTF features members from different organizations throughout the state.
- Alabama Cancer Society
- Alabama Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Alabama Department of Public Health: Immunization Division, Cancer Division, and Dental Health
- Alabama State Department of Education
- Alabama Medicaid Agency
- Alabama Pharmacy Association
- Alabama Vaccine Advisory Committee
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- American Pharmacy Cooperative
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Children's of Alabama
- Fairhope Pediatrics
- HNH Immunizations Inc.
- Human Rights Watch
- Laura Crandall Brown Foundation
- Mitchell Cancer Institute
- Sanofi Pasteur
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of South Alabama
- VAX 2 STOP CANCER
Rotating Responsibilities Campaigns
January-Cervical Cancer by USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (teal and white ribbon)
April-Oral Cancer Awareness by ADPH Dental Health and Human Rights Watch (4/11 wear burgundy)
July-by Vax to Stop Cancer
August-by Cancer Society
September-by Laura Crandell Foundation
October-by Blue Cross and Blue Shield
November-by University of Alabama at Birmingham
Educational Webinar Opportunities
- You Are the Key to HPV Cancer Prevention- Train the Trainer, expires 10/26/2021
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine Safety, expires 02/25/2020
- You Are the Key to HPV Cancer Prevention, expires 04/11/2020
- Someone You Love: The HPV Epidemic, Expires 07/01/2020
Link to Cancer Prevention
- ADPH Healthcare Systems, Insurers, and Medical Associations HPV Cancer and Vaccine Education Letter
- Adolescent Revenue Opportunity for HPV Vaccine
- CDC Alabama HPV Vaccination Report May 2019
- How I Recommend Videos: Tips for HPV provider recommendations
- Quality Improvement Strategies
- Recommending HPV Vaccine Successfully
- Sports Physical Conversion Tool
- State HPV Data Summary
- Talking to Parents about HPV Vaccine
- Top 10 Tips for HPV Vaccination Success
- Vaccination in Rural Communities
- AAP - HPV Legislation v.s. Sexual Behaviors of Adolescents
- American Cancer Society - HPV Vaccine Endorsement
- CDC - MMWR - HPV Associated Cancer Trends
- CDC - MMWR - HPV Vaccination Coverage Report
- HPV - Take a Shot at Cancer
- HPV Vaccination - Just the Facts for Parents
- HPV & Dentistry - The Connection
Recommended Vaccines for Adolescents
Alabama State Policy
- 2018 SJR 113 Alabama State Department of Education encourages all schools to participate in a school-based vaccination clinic.
AAP and AAFP's Lessons Learned
- HPV Continuous Quality Improvement Project.
- Educating all staff and providers about HPV is important.
- Practices learned multiple ways to deliver a strong message.
- Acute visit HPV vaccination increased rates without increasing visit time for most practices.
- Selecting effective reminder/recall method is practice specific.
- Some parents remain reluctant to vaccinate.
- Quality improvement is not hard once started and efforts improve other care areas.
- Practices plan to utilize ADPH AFIX reports to sustain gains.
- Quantitative and Qualitative Evaluation of Pediatricians Attitudes and Barriers to HPV Vaccination.
- Most common system barriers are infrequency of routine adolescent visits, lack of HPV required for school attendance, and patients not completing the series.
- Most common patient barriers are belief in link between sex and vaccine, and vaccine safety.
- Best Messaging strategy was focus on cancer prevention.
- Strategies to increase vaccine rates include provider and clinic staff education, and recall/reminder systems.
- Physician recommendations are the most influential factor for parents to decide to allow vaccine to be administered.
- Meeting Minutes - October 22, 2019
Dr. Jennifer Young Pierce-USA Mitchell Cancer Institute-HPV Cancer Update
Dr. Wharton-CDC-NCIRD-Improving HPV Vaccination Coverage
- Meeting Minutes- June 11, 2019
Families United to Stop HPV (VAX 2 STOP CANCER)
HPV Vaccine Survey Results Summary
- Meeting Minutes - March 12, 2019
Adolescent Vaccine Rate per County
- Meeting Minutes - August 31, 2018
- Meeting Minutes - May 24, 2018
HPV Workshop Team Action Plan for Alabama
This document was created at an HPV Roundtable and is designed to support efforts to achieve increased Adolescent vaccination rates and HPV completion.
Provider Education Work Group
Data Work Group
Page last updated: March 17, 2020