Font Size:

Certificates of Foreign Birth

The Center for Health Statistics may prepare and register a Certificate of Foreign Birth upon receipt of a request from an adoptive parent or an adopted individual 19 years of age or older. A Certificate of Foreign Birth may be put on file for a child who has automatically acquired United States citizenship following a foreign adoption and who possesses a Certificate of Citizenship in accordance with the Child Citizenship Act. Upon receipt of the required and consistent documentation with the appropriate fee, the Center for Health Statistics will prepare a Certificate of Foreign Birth showing the child's new name and the name(s) of the new parent(s). All of the following documents must be provided and must show consistent information in order to prepare the Certificate of Foreign Birth:

  • The child's Certificate of Citizenship
  • A certified copy of the child's foreign birth certificate and certified English translation
  • The certified original documents related to the foreign adoption and certified English translation
  • The child's Social Security card
  • A valid government issued picture identification of parent or parents such as a passport, driver's license, or military identification
  • Proof of current residency of the parent or parents in the State of Alabama. Submit at least one of the following:
    - Valid Alabama driver's license
    - Current Alabama property tax bill
    - Current Alabama utility bill
    - Another record that confirms Alabama residency


The fee to prepare the Certificate of Foreign Birth is $25.00 which includes one certified copy of the new record. Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time are $6.00 each. There is an additional fee of $15.00 to expedite the request. Make check or money order payable to "State Board of Health". Please do not send cash. Fees are not refundable. Complete the application and send with the required documents and appropriate fee to:

Alabama Vital Records
Adoption Section
P.O. Box 5625
Montgomery, AL 36103-5625


If you have additional questions, call an Adoption Clerk at (334) 206-2637. Note: If the child was born in another country to a United States citizen, contact the United States Department of State at (202) 955-0307 or visit Travel.State.Gov.

Page last updated: June 21, 2023