Font Size:

ID Requirements

Identification is required of any applicant requesting a restricted Alabama vital record (birth certificate less than 125 years from the date of birth or death certificate less than 25 years from the date of death). The applicant must submit a completed request and one form of identification from the Primary ID list below. In the event the applicant is unable to provide identification from the Primary ID list, he/she may provide two different forms of identification from the Secondary ID list.

If the applicant designates another individual to pick up a restricted certificate on his/her behalf, both the applicant and the designee must provide acceptable identification.

The completed request, as well as a copy of all identification submitted, will be maintained by the vital records office which processes the request.

Primary IDs Including Photo

(need at least one, current, expired no more than 60 days)

  • Alabama Driver's License
  • Out-of-State Driver's License
  • State-Issued Non-Driver ID
  • U.S. or Foreign Passport
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Work ID (If applicant is employee of agency/company making request)
  • Alien Resident Card (Temporary or Permanent)
  • U.S. Employment Authorization Card
  • Citizenship ID Card
  • Tribal ID
  • Pilot's License
  • Boating License
  • Concealed Weapons License
  • Ex-Felon ID
  • Inmate ID issued by the U.S. Dept. of Justice w/ following documentation:
    -- Supporting documents from institution if inmate is still in custody
    -- Letter of release from institution if inmate has been released
  • School ID (Must include current school term)
  • Alabama Voter Identification Card

Secondary IDs

(need at least two)

  • Expired, Government-Issued ID
  • Utility Bill (No more than 6 months old)
  • Work ID (If applicant is making personal request)
  • Vehicle Registration or Vehicle Title
  • Property Tax Bill
  • Military Discharge (DD Form 214)
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Health Insurance Card
  • Social Security Correspondence (not Card)
  • U.S. Selective Service Card
  • Recent DMV Receipt for Fines Paid
  • Fishing or Hunting License
  • Copy of Police Report or other official documents which support theft, in cases where individual's ID has been stolen
  • Autism Spectrum Card
  • Immunization (Shot) Record

*In special cases where an applicant is unable to provide any of these documents, please contact the Center for Health Statistics at (334) 206-5418.

Page last updated: May 13, 2021