Adopting Parent or Legal Representative (Attorney) Requesting New Birth Certificate Following Recent Adoption
When a child is adopted
If the Adopted Child Was Born in Alabama:
- The Center for Health Statistics will prepare a new birth certificate for the child showing the new names.
- The fee to prepare the new certificate of birth after
adoptionis $25.00, which includes one certified copy of the new record. Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time are $6.00 each.
Effective May 1, 2017, identification will be required to obtain a restricted birth certificate. View ID Requirements for more information.
If the Adopted Child Was Not Born in Alabama:
- The new birth certificate for the child must be prepared in the state where the child was born.
- The fee for the Center for Health Statistics to forward the order of adoption to the child's state of birth is $10.00.
- The Center for Health Statistics, upon receipt of the fee, will forward the court order of adoption and the information showing the new name(s) to the appropriate vital records office in the state where the child was born.
- The state of birth must be contacted for a copy of the new certificate. They may require an additional fee. Information on other state vital records offices may be obtained at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) website under NCHS Top 10.
Mail the completed request form with the required fee. If the child was born in Alabama, the fee is $25.00, which includes one certified copy of the record. Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time are $6.00 each. There is an additional fee of $15.00 to expedite a request. The fee to forward adoption documents to another state of birth is $10.00. Make checks or money orders payable to "State Board of Health". Please do not send cash. Fees are non-refundable. Send to:
Alabama Vital Records
P.O. Box 5625
Montgomery, Alabama 36103-5625
If you have any questions regarding recent adoptions, call the adoption clerk at (334) 206-2644.
Page last updated: August 17, 2017